If you are thinking about going out of town for a vacation, business or a family get together you want to make sure your dog is as comfortable as possible. Here are some ideas to make your pets stay less stressful for an overnight stay:
- Bring your dog to with you to tour the facility. This helps you and your pet become more comfortable with the environment you will be leaving your pet in.
- Bring your pet for daycare before leaving them for an over night stay. Your pet will know that Mom or Dad will be picking them up at the end of the day and not just leaving them at a strange place. It also allows time for them to meet the staff.
- Pack things that smell like home. A pillow or piece of clothing will help by bringing the smell of home with them.
- Drop your dog off early enough to get a lot of play time. The saying is “a tired dog is a happy dog”, and that can also be applied when it is time to go to bed.
- Bring their favorite toy or bed. Just like a pillow or clothing, toys and bedding can make your pet feel much more comfortable.
- Always bring your own food! You never want to change your dog’s diet at the same time as changing their environment. This will lead to an upset tummy which may not always show up at the boarding facility. It may cause your pet to have diarrhea after you pick them up too.