Depression is a mood disorder that causes feelings of worthlessness and persistent sadness. While dogs can’t experience clinical depression like humans, they can feel other depression forms such as grief, sadness, and blues. Look out for the signs that suggest your dog is depressed. Continue reading to find out how to treat depression in dogs effectively.
Signs of Depression in Dogs
- Loss of appetite
- Appearing lethargic or sleeping a lot
- Being clingy or demanding more attention
- Changed vocalization
- Unusually aggressive behavior towards you or other animals
- Not using the litter box
- Not participating in their favorite games
- Withdrawing from social situations
Causes of Depression in Dogs
Consider what’s changing or has changed in your dog’s life if you suspect they’re depressed. Any significant change in their social environment can cause dogs to be depressed or stressed. Here are some reasons why your dog might be depressed:
- They are suffering from a chronic illness
- They were abused in the past
- They are home alone most of the time
- They don’t get enough playtime or attention from you
- They witness significant changes in the household. For example, the addition of a family member or changes in your daily routine
Treating Depression in Dogs
Dogs are pretty resilient beings. Fortunately, even minor improvements in their daily lifestyle can uplift their spirits significantly. Consider the following ideas to improve your dog’s emotional state:
- Increase their playtime– set up play dates to cheer your furry friend. If you have a busy schedule, consider dog daycare services to ensure your dog has sufficient playtime while you’re away.
- Avail dog grooming services – grooming a dog can help improve their physical and mental well-being. Utilize professional dog grooming services for your pet at The Grand Paw and ensure they stay happy and safe.
- Treat them well- give your dog their favorite treats to encourage them to eat. However, don’t change their diet completely, as it may cause indigestion.
- Respond properly-give your pet all the attention they need. Constant reassurance might keep them from feeling insecure.
- Take them out for a walk-exercise can help improve your dog’s emotions. Take them out for a walk daily to help them fight depression.
Visit The Grand Paw in Indio, CA, to avail professional and affordable dog daycare services. Our facility offers reliable dog grooming services and sufficient playtime with other pets to improve your dog’s social interaction. Contact us today for more information.